Wednesday 25 September 2013

DIY Watermelon Print Cropped Sweatshirt

Whenever I have had a spare moment lately (a rare occurrence - I've been working every single day in the laboratory) I have been making my own clothes - something I've really been wanting to do more of since around the time of this post. Anyway, I finally finished this project - a watermelon print cropped sweatshirt! Instructions for making your own are below.

First off, draw a watermelon shape like this on a piece of cardboard, and cut it out. This will be your stencil.
Figure out what you want your design to look like. I used this watermelon printed top and basically copied the design exactly, haha. But whether you decide to draw this style of watermelon or use some other picture - or something entirely different from watermelons - it helps to find a picture of what you are drawing before you start (particularly if you are not good at drawing, like me).
It will also help to draw your design onto a piece of paper first, to make sure that you can get it right and like the design before committing pen to fabric.
Place fabric pins or some other marker in each place where you want a watermelon. Make sure you're only pinning one side of the fabric (you will need to insert a piece of paper inside later).
Insert a piece of paper inside the shirt so the pen doesn't bleed through to the other side of the fabric. Use your black permanent marker and the piece of cardboard you cut out before to draw watermelon outlines wherever you placed a pin.
Then simply colour them in one-by-one using fabric markers (making sure you always have a piece of paper behind the fabric).
Now you're nearly done! Iron the shirt to seal the colour into the fabric. Then, if you want to crop the shirt, simply cut across the bottom, a little bit longer than the desired length, fold the edge up twice, and sew across the bottom using a straight stitch.

I picked up this tip from Rachel for making sure the edges don't pucker when hemming - simply sew across a piece of paper, then rip it off when done! It works a treat for any kind of stretchy fabric.
Extra tip: be smarter than me, and place the piece of paper below the fabric, so you can actually see where you are sewing.

You're done! Congrats, enjoy your new super sweet watermelon top!

Have a lovely day,







Bloglovin' | Facebook | Twitter |  Instagram | Chictopia | Lookbook | Tumblr

32 comments:

  1. It is so pretty! Love it, I'm all about DIY clothes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo!!! This is so cute! I really want to try to make a strawberry one :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that turned out really great! Must have taken forever but totally worth it. Making your own clothes is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look absolutely gorgeous in your watermelon top, Annika! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! You did a great job :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute top Anika!

    www.urbanikamoda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a cute idea and a great tutorial! I love that the watermelon actually look hand drawn. It makes it was more unique than something bought in a store. I think this top looks awesome with your white pinafore too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look super adorable in the close-up pic! And I love watermelons on clothes, the top turned out really sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an adorable top! Is it machine washable? Love how you look in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Just check the instructions on the fabric markers you buy to make sure. But mine is!

      Delete
  10. Really love this DIY idea. Gonna try it out once I have fabric markers. Is it machine washable or do I have to handwash this? By the way did you also make the pinafore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See above comment ;) No I didn't make this pinafore though :(
      Also, thank you so much!

      Delete
  11. Ace diy - I do love a good watermelon print :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the coolest and cutest diy I have ever seen! If I was making these I would be probably too excited that I would mess up but kudos to you Annika <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic DIY!! Watermelon also happens to be one of my favorite fruits. :]
    ♡ Dulce

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is just so cute! I will have to get me some fabric markers and get creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! Yes, I have officially fallen off the face of the blogosphere. But I had to come by and say how excited I am to see regular articles of yours popping up on Birdee Magazine. Congrats! Each article is a delight. Just read the one about bathers (something I truly struggle with) and now feel pumped to find some swanky bathers for the summer. SPeaking of summer, I think once year 12 is finally over I can attempt every single DIY I've wanted to from your blog, and this one I have just added to the list. Okay, I'm back to my hermit shell. Just wanted to say hello and congrats

    Meg xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I love reading your comments always.
      Good luck with your exams. I am also planning a bajillion DIY posts for when uni is over for summer, so you'll have to do all of them as well ;)
      Also, glad you're reading birdee! It's become something I read regularly too and I am freaking loving that I get to contribute to it!

      Delete
  16. this is so so so cute!!! i'm thinking about making one with cherries or strawberries on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Well done Annika, the top looks so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. the top is just super cute but sadly I dun have a sewing machine!

    toinfinitynbeyond13.blogspot.hk

    ReplyDelete
  19. Need to try this!
    xx
    Lauren
    http://therealauren.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. SO utterly sweet and I love it so much paired with that adorable pinafore! You are too talented miss! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. aww this is such a lovely DIY, Annika! you're always so creative and I love how your wore this with that pinafore ;)
    -
    Ester @ Drawing Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  22. Where did you get the pinafore and shoes? super cute (as always XD)

    ReplyDelete
  23. can you make these available for pinning on pinterest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should be! It works when I try and pin them onto pinterest. Do you have the pinning button?

      Delete
  24. Super cool idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails